All of the OLI software are supported on the following platforms.
Microsoft discontinued support for the Windows XP and Server 2003 operating systems. OLI Systems is no longer supporting these operating systems.
For all the operating systems listed below both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported.
|Operating System (Desktop)||Service Pack||Supported||Comment|
|XP||Latest||No||November 2016, OLI released OLI Flowsheet which requires drivers not available for Windows XP.|
|Vista||Latest||Yes||As of April 11, 2017 Microsoft has stopped supporting MS - Vista. OLI will continue to support this as long as possible|
|Windows 8.1||Latest||Yes||As of January 9, 2018 Microsoft has stopped supporting MS - Windows 8.1. OLI will continue to support this as long as possible|
|Operating System (Server)||Service Pack||Supported||Comment|
|MAC-OS||Latest||Partially||On via a virtual machine such as Parallels|
OLI Systems, Inc. does not recommend for or against any particular brand of virtual machine software.
The OLI Software, while compatible with all the Microsoft operating systems listed above, none are currently certified with Microsoft. This is a long and expensive process and generally not practical for software which is updated frequently.
Virtual Machine Software
The OLI software will work with virtual machines with the following caveats:
- If USB devices are used, then the VM must have access to the physical USB port.
- If a USB port is not available then a softkey solution must be used.
- Softkeys are not relocatable. If your VM is moved and has a significantly different configuration then the softkey may fail.
- Trial copies of the software will not work with VM software.
Installation: Local administrator privilege is required
Execution: Standard user privilege is recommended.
Additional Software requirements
No additional software is required to run the OLI Software. No additional or external databases are required to run the OLI Software.
Installation and Execution using Virtual Machines
The OLI Software will install and run on a virtual machine. There are two types of security that OLI utilizes.
USB (Dongle) Based
This is the traditional OLI security module. If your virtual computer supports direct hardware access to a USB port then the USB solution is suitable.
Softkey (software) Based
If you do not have access to a USB or a USB port does not exist then the software based (soft-key) solution is suitable. We have experienced some issues with softkeys in a virtual environment. Here is a list of some of the issues we have encountered:
- It is impossible for OLI Systems, Inc. to test all the different virtual machine software that exists. The softkey solution may not work for your software.
- The virtual machine software was updated on the host computer
- The virtual machine changed configuration on the host computer
- A hardware change was detected such as adding or removing a DVD or changing video drivers
- Memory on the virtual machine was increased or decreased
- The virtual machine was relocated to a new location on the same host computer
- The virtual machine was relocated to a new host computer
- The virtual machine was cloned.
OLI will try to resolve these and any new issues involving softkeys and virtual machines but each issue is unique and requires extensive effort to resolve.
No direct access to the internet is required by the OLI Software. If you are running a network copy of the OLI Software then local network access is required. No changes to any firewalls are required unless YOUR local policy requires such changes.
- CPU Speed
1 GHz or faster
|32 bit O/S||64 bit O/S|
|1 gigabyte||4 gigabyte|
Supports DirectX 9.0 or later
A standard VGA monitor is suitable with 800x600 resolution.
- Hard drive
4 gB of free space
DVD Reader if installation will be via a disk, no drive necessary if working through the Internet download.
For individual copies of the OLI Software:
- Hardware key option: one USB 2.0 port is required for the Hardware Key option. This will support our PH or PA type of USB Key.
- Soft key option: no port is necessary. Please note that for this soft key option, the license is valid only on the registering PC
Network computers which have a USB 2.0 port may use a USB key similar to the PH and PA keys shown above. If no USB ports are available (as with many virtual computers) then a soft-key solution is available.
Updates to the software are checked manually. In each OLI Program there is a HELP menu. From that menu a Check Updates button can be used to see if an update is available.
Compatibility with Microsoft® Products
OLI is not natively used in Microsoft Products (i.e., not a plug-in). However, reports created by OLI software are in RTF format (rich-text-format) and may be copied and pasted directly into Microsoft products. Graphs and plots are presented as BMP (bit mapped) images and may by copied and pasted directly into Microsoft products. Some data and reports may also be exported as CSV (comma-separated variable) files and may be opened with Microsoft Excel.
Any other compatibility is not supported or implied.